Friday 16 December 2016
New alliance more than a change of colours
A delegation from the Geelong West GIANTS (GWG) travelled to Sydney late last week and met with key decision makers at the Learning Life Centre headquarters of Greater Western Sydney GIANTS (GWS GIANTS). The meeting was highly productive with many decisions made to ensure the new Geelong West GIANTS are able to take full advantage of the GWS alliance.
Tom Morrissy – Co Chair of GWG – said “we are really happy with the outcomes discussed today. There has been considerable work behind the scenes over the last few months, but today really cemented the opportunities that will flow from our alliance”.
GWS General Managers Rebecca Shaw and David Grenvold provided a ‘can do’ framework to the possibilities. “GWS GIANTS will provide opportunities and support to all sections of the GWG Sports Club – senior football, junior football – both boys and girls – and netball will all reap the benefits and rewards”.
Key opportunities and support will take the form of:
- Attendances by high profile GWS GIANTS personnel at the late February official launch and Pako Festa parade
- The allocation of senior players – both boys and girls – to the junior football section of the club
A range of unique GWG junior member game day experiences for junior football and netball players throughout the year
- A preseason senior football training and practice match to experience the range of AFL facilities and insights available at the GWS GIANTS Learning Life Centre
- Linkages and involvement with the GWS GIANTS Junior Academy coaching staff and training programs to enable GWG junior footballers and coaches to experience the benefits of an elite pathway program
- Access to GWS GIANTS AFL home and away game for all GWG supporters and sponsors who take up a GWS GIANTS season membership
GWS GIANTS CEO David Matthews said “The GIANTS enjoy supporting community football clubs in all parts of Australia and internationally. We want to extend our brand and our reach and we want to be supportive of grass roots growth at the same time. The opportunities that will occur through this alliance will assist both clubs in a significant way. We have been impressed with the vision and leadership of the GWG Sporting Club have adopted. The alliance further reinforces our own efforts and approach to increase participation and support community football and netball in the wider community”.
In conclusion, Tom Morrissy said “The ongoing long term alliance with GWS GIANTS will be a game changer for our club. All facets of our club will benefit – players, coaches, administrators – to ensure that GWG has the best chance of long term success in the Geelong football and netball community”.
For more information please contact GWG Co-Chairman Tom Morrissy on 0419 505 275.